Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weekly Recap

Well what a week. Sorry for the lack of post.

On weight front first. I am now down to 238 pounds. That puts me at a total loss of 61 pounds now. 13 for 2010.

The week started off slow on the bike. The weather was poor. Had some fronts move thru. The 1st ride for the week was on Wednesday. I was out playing chicken with the thunderstorms. But I really wanted to get some miles in before this weekends big ride. Ended up with just over 24 miles.

Thursday was a beautiful day. I rode out south of town and ended up with just over 30 miles. But I set a new personal best for average speed. I averaged 17.1 mph for the ride.

Now for the Chilly Roger ride on Saturday.

The ride kicked off at 9 o’clock. I headed out fast. I knew that I would get dropped when we hit the wind. (The wind was out of the west/northwest and was 15+ with some really heavy gusts) As I fell back. I drop in with some different groups. But the ride became a solo suffer fest at about 24 miles in. I just couldn’t keep up the faster pace in the wind. Even in the draft it was really too much. I learned that while I have came leaps and bounds since last August, I still have a long way to go. (I am not getting down on myself here, just stating the facts)

By the time I had reached the 36 mile point in Vinton, LA. I was really wondering if I should be committed to the funny farm. I pulled into the rest stop and I ate some food and took a rest for about 20 minutes. 36 miles was the longest I have ever rode without a rest stop. And I was feeling it. After the battle with Mr. Wind I was tired.

I remounted the bike and started pushing the pedals again. The last 30 was a lot easier then the 1st 36. The wind was more of a crosswind and was on my back more too. I stayed in the big chain ring for most of the 2nd half of the ride.
There was another rest stop at the 51 mile mark but I was really in a rhythm so I just passed it up. That decision could have came back to haunt me if the ride was any longer than it was.

I started the ride with my camelback and 2 – 24oz water bottles with an electrolyte drink in them. I also drank 2 bottles at the half way point. Well at 54 miles my camelback went dry. I still had most of a bottle of the electrolyte drink still. Well at 61 miles I was completely empty of all of it. Good thing it was only 5 miles to the Finnish. (Note to self – Check the camelback when you stop some where!!!) It was a warm day 72 degrees. I am glad that that decision didn’t hurt me.

I had one other problem in the last 10 miles. I started to cramp up. I really was worried that I had started to dehydrate. (I have a had bad luck in my younger days with dehydration.) But that wasn’t the case. I really had stayed hydrated. My body was just rebelling for the torture I was inflicting on it.
I made it though. I finished in 4 hours and 10 minutes. I averaged 15.8 mph for the ride. Not too bad for going solo for 40 miles.

I have decided that I will not try a Full Century ride till the fall. I need more time and training before I am ready to attempt that feat. (They have a century ride during the MS-150 ride in October. Right around my birthday!!!)

Woke up this morning and realized I had some spots I missed with the sunscreen!!! (Another note to self – Reapply the sunscreen at the half way point!!! HAHAHA.)

Well this morning was as bad as I thought it would be. Other than the few spots that I missed with the sunscreen, I am doing good.

So lets to the weekly recap now. Not going to ride today.

Miles Needed – 1000
Total miles to date – 732.4
+ or – miles – (-267.6)

This week was my best ever total miles for a week. 121.9 in only 3 rides.
Well this Tuesday starts the Tue/Thur. group rides out of Capital. So I will start to have more to write about mid week. The time has changed so Longer days mean better chances to get a ride in.

Till the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment